Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mirth -- 1-2-3- go!

As far as I can tell, Wharton is trying to make a statement about women and their role in society. She's writing in the 19th/20th century, so I'm not so sure what she's saying is anything new. I really don't know what she's trying to get across at this point so I don't know what to think of it. Wharton is obviously offering some sort of satire about the lives of the landed/familial elite. This is an American perspective and I'm not sure what to make of that. Is the elitist American perspective (as far as satire goes) much different from the English/European perspective? I don't know, and perhaps I might find out. It depends on how good of a writer Wharton is...up to now, she is incredibly generic so I'm not so sure I'll be able to keep my interest until then.

On the other hand, she seems to be challenging social roles of men and women so I'm interested in sticking through it for that. My guess is that she's going to end the female role in either death or complacency since all 'gender oriented' writers of the time seem to end their stories by having the characters succumb to the ordinary.

Ok then!

No comments:

Post a Comment